Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Sober Observation

Last weekend I was out with two dear friends. One is an old friend from high school who now has a child. Between his work schedule and child, I never see him.

He had a rare night off work early and sans child, so we hung out.

I had two drinks initially, but stopped after that, as I had things to do the next day. With my irritable gut and all that, I didn't want to tempt fate.

I ended up hanging out with these dears until 4:30 in the morning. I watched their descent into shitty drunkdom all the whilst, remaining stone cold sober.

I sat in Ulrich's until after last call and listened to my friends profess their love for each other (both straight men) and talk very intensely about everything.

If I was drunk with them, I might feel just as intensely about their conversation and time would be irrelevant. I wouldn't be sitting there feeling every minute pass by and waiting for them to get to some kind of point or have an epiphany.

If I didn't love this dear old friend of mine so much, I would have gone home much earlier.

But it was an interesting change of perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment